To understand how bitcoin loans work, you’ll need to understand what bitcoin is and how it works. Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency that operates entirely online. It’s decentralized, so no particular organization, individual or country controls it. This allows bitcoin users to make direct transactions among one another without a third party — like a bank — getting involved.
Transactions are recorded and published on a electronic ledger called a blockchain, which anyone can access. The blockchain relies on several anonymous computers — called miners — to verify the legitimacy of transactions before they join the blockchain to prevent fraud.
On a basic level, bitcoin loans work like your standard term loan: It’s borrowed money that you pay back plus interest and fees over a predetermined period of time. You can pay it back in fixed installments or all at once, depending on your lender or your preferences. You can also get bitcoin lines of credit and short-term bitcoin loans.
That’s where most of the similarities end. Because bitcoin isn’t affiliated with any central government or banking institution, your typical bitcoin loan will be from other bitcoin users. You’ll also need to factor any commission on the current exchange rate into your fees.
The easiest way to get a bitcoin loan is through a peer-to-peer platform that connects investors with borrowers, usually for a fee.
To borrow through a bitcoin loan platform, you first need to set up an account and wait for verification. Bitcoin lenders don’t rely on the typical ways of judging your creditworthiness, such as your credit score or debt-to-income ratio.
Instead, platforms give you a trust score — sometimes called a credit score or rating — based on how much they’re able to verify about your identity and financial history. To get a high trust score, you might need to submit extensive documentation.
Documents accepted to verify your identity
- Government-issued ID. A scan of your passport is preferred, because many of these sites are international.
- Verification of your address. Utility bills in your name are ideal.
- Email verification. Typically the platform sends a link or a code to your email address.
- Credit card verification. Bonus points if you can prove that you’ve consistently paid your credit card bills on time.
- Connection to your social media. The more the better — which helps prove that you’re a real, active person.
- Connection to online payment accounts. Platforms use your transaction history on online accounts like PayPal or eBay to verify that you pay for things on time without red flags in your past business dealings.
- Verification of income. Recent pay stubs, invoices or tax forms prove your ability to repay a bitcoin loan.
Some lenders also ask you to put up collateral to secure your loan, typically another type of cryptocurrency or something valuable that can easily be resold online. Others allow you to gain trust by being an active member of the community or having other members of the community vouch for you. Setting up a profile picture and investing in bitcoin loans can also increase your rating.
Once your account is verified, you typically need to select your loan type and submit your application form. You can receive loan offers in as little as a few hours and get your funds instantly once you accept.
Getting a bitcoin loan might still pose you to face basic eligibility requirements.
To join a bitcoin platform and find investors willing to lend to you at a competitive rate, you generally must:
- Live in a country where bitcoin is regulated
- Hold a steady job.
- Have a high trust score.
While bitcoin lending platforms sound similar to other online peer-to-peer lenders, like LendingClub or Prosper, you’ll find key differences:
First, bitcoin platforms determine your creditworthiness using criteria that differs from peer-to-peer platforms that lend in dollars. Bitcoin platforms tend to focus on your online presence, and they often don’t care about your credit history or how much you owe elsewhere.
The most common place to get a bitcoin loan is through an online service that matches lenders and borrowers. Here are some of the top bitcoin loan platforms providers:
Bitbond is the first global marketplace lending platform for small business loans. They leverage blockchain technology to connect creditworthy borrowers with individual and institutional investors.
This platform allows you to borrow and lend without borders. You can get a loan to grow your business. You can borrow up to $25,000 starting at 1% monthly
- Loans for eBay sellers and online businesses
- Terms from 6 weeks to 12 months
- Available in many countries around the world
As an investor on Bitbond you can either pick the loans you like to fund manually or you use their convenient AutoInvest tool. AutoInvest lets you create a diversified portfolio of loans according to your preferences in an automated way. The great benefit for investors who use Bitbond is that they can create a portfolio of loans that is diversified across many different countries.
Bitbond is incorporated in Berlin, Germany and is a fully regulated financial institution with its own licence.
Bitbond’s mission is to make investing and financing globally accessible. You can apply for a bitcoin loan on Bitbond
SALT lets you leverage your blockchain assets to secure cash loans. They make it easy to get money without having to sell your investment.
Some really good features I like about them is that:
- They have easy application process, fast approval, and no credit checks.
- Competitive interest rates with no prepayment fees.
- Freedom to get your assets back whenever you want.
- Get cash deposited directly into your bank account (dollar account)
SALT streamlines every step of the loan.
They have a very simple application process by focusing on the value of the borrower’s blockchain assets instead of their credit score. Borrowers are automatically matched with capital from their extensive network of lenders.
SALT keeps collateral assets safe in a fully-audited, ultra-secure architecture during the life of the loan so members can borrow with confidence.
Please note. Loans are not made by SALT Lending. SALT Lending is a Platform. All loans are subject to review and approval. You can register to loan bitcoin from salt today
Similar to SALT, Unchained Capital lends USD to individuals and businesses who provide Bitcoin as collateral. They are a new kind of financial services company. They lend cash to long-term crypto holders who need liquidity but don’t want to sell their coin.
Lenders are allowed to borrow 50 percent of what they set up as collateral capital, with interest rates at an all-inclusive 10 to 14 percent.
Unchained Capital offers lending terms of three months to up to two years with the option to renew. Unlike SALT, Unchained Capital’s loans are secured via bitcoin, with the company’s philosophy being that the large amount of bitcoin in circulation that are not actively being spent should be put to work.
PS: Unchained Capital offers cash loans to ONLY US individuals and businesses who provide Bitcoin as collateral.
You can check out Unchained Capital to get detailed information.
Is a decentralized and secure financial marketplace for peer to peer lending agreements using Blockchain and Smart Contracts.
- No one can stop your lending or borrowing, not even ETHLend. All lending is possible via the Ethereum Smart Contract. No assets are held by ETHLend.
- You can borrow even in locations where there are no banks in sight. People lend Ether to people, which means you don’t need a bank account to get a loan.
- You don’t need a bank to lend or borrow. With the Ethereum network, loans are sent within seconds or minutes. No middle-men, just the borrower and lender.
- They believe that everyone should have access to low interest rates.
- Every transaction is visible. All transactions are open for block-explorers. You can follow on what is happening with your loan Smart Contract.
Visit ETHLend to know more.
Othera is an Australian financial technology company based in Sydney, NSW. Launched in 2015 and have been expanding its services to meet the needs of loan originators and investors.
Their platform incorporates two tools for loan originators.
- Blockchain Loan Origination Platform: allows lenders to digitise, segment and price whole or partial loans and convert them into digital loan tokens.
- Digital Asset Trading Exchange: a marketplace which enables trade of digital loan tokens between loan originators and investors. The exchange helps lenders to recapitalise their balance sheet and provides investors with means for analysing credit risk and an opportunity to invest in fixed income digital assets.
Basically, Othera provides blockchain technology that helps to re-imagine the creation, issuance and trade of digital investment assets
Get in contact with Othera to book a demo or learn more about blockchain solutions for loan originators.
BTCPOP offers a unique P2P Banking experience with Instant Loans, Investment Pools, Collateral Tied Loans & More. Unlike other companies, they don’t rely on third party services. Your coins are stored in offline storage with only a small portion available via their hot wallets.
On BTCPOP, you can trade ALTcoins via their exchange. You can trade Bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), Dogecoin (DOGE), Blackcoin (BLK), and more. If you need money fast, their instant loans are perfect for you.
Alternatively, BTCPOP offer custom loans. You can borrow anything from 0.01 BTC to 500BTC with the option to set your own APR limit, meaning you only pay back what you can afford.
Are you still struggling to get your business started? BTCPOP allow users to start an IPO (initial public offering). They believe that everyone deserves a chance. If you think you have a fantastic idea for a business but don’t have the funds to get it started, creating an IPO with BTCPOP offers other users the opportunity to invest in his or her idea, increasing the chances of making your dream company become a reality.
Credible Friends is a peer-to-peer lending platform built on Bitcoin that enables anyone to quickly extend lines of credit to all of their trusted friends.
How to lend bitcoin to a friend with Credible Friends:
- CREATE YOUR WALLET AND DEPOSIT BITCOINS Create an account using an email or social account. Simply scan the QR Code or use your Bitcoin address displayed to deposit Bitcoin into your account.
- ADD YOUR FRIENDS Connect your social media accounts or invite friends by email to build a contact list of people you trust where you can lend to.
- EXTEND CREDIT Individually extend credit your friends can spend based on your risk assessment, and they’ll have the available spending funds displayed in their account.
- YOUR FRIENDS CAN SPEND BITCOIN! Now bitcoin is available to your friends. Its a line of credit they can spend from whenever they want. Tell your friends to go buy something on Amazon through Purse with free Prime shipping!
- START EARNING INTEREST Loaning money to friends earns interest on your funds. You receive back your initial loan when your friends settle the total amount.
Many of your friends you already know and have relationships in which trust has been earned. The ability for everyone to rate others also gives feedback for past loans, allowing you to judge their ability to repay loans. It’s important to be cautious when allocating credit. By giving small amounts of credits to new friends, you can reduce risk and have them earn your approval for greater loans.
At any point, you can withdraw available balance to a Bitcoin address of your choice.
Bitcoin loans are new and not well regulated. But they could be a viable alternative form of financing for someone who doesn’t meet standard credit requirements. Interest rates are often lower and funding can be nearly instantaneous.
Before you dive first into bitcoin borrowing, do your research and check out other personal loan options before deciding which best fits your needs.